Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Prairie Home Companion


We went to see A Prairie Home Companion at the Hollywood Bowl.  We listen to it most weekends.  If you're not familiar, it's an old time radio show with music, skits and (mostly fake) product advertisements.


I've been listening to it since at least the early eighties.  Dad (Hansen) introduced me to it.  One of my fondest memories is a Christmas Eve when Mom and I laughed our butts off listening to an episode.

The show began with host Garrison Keillor and a guest musician walking out into the audience singing.  They walked up the Hollywood Bowl singing one song, and came down singing America The Beautiful.  I had a big lump in my throat.

Honestly, the show wasn't the same in person.  For example, the audience cheers/claps a lot and the host will keep on talking.  On the radio you can hear him, but live you can't.  But that's a small complaint, it was wonderful.  I hope my kids have a long lasting memory of it.

Here's a sample:

No comments: