Tuesday, July 10, 2007

ARghhhh

DMV - need I say more?

I must...

If you purchase your vehicle within 365 days of registering in CA you have to pay a "use tax" which is basically the equivalent of sales tax. You can subtract the sales tax you paid for the vehicle.

Hmmm, six months ago while a resident of VA my wife got a new car from a dealership in VA. In VA you don't pay sales tax on vehicle, you pay property tax. So today we had to pay a buttload of CA tax because, well, its a Lexus. And we paid the property tax in VA. FIRETRUCK!!!

And because the cost of living is so high here, you get cream of the crop working for the government. What a pleasant experience.

Lesson - don't register your car in CA within 365 days of purchasing it. Which explains all of the plate-less cars I see here.

Anyway, I swear this is unconstitutional. CA is taxing us for a transaction that took place out of state 6 months ago between two out of state entities. I will lie, cheat and do anything to screw the local tax authority as often as I can - which is really just me talking trash because I'm pissed. Like what can I really do???

Become a libertarian!

---

In other news Morgen also broke her big toe. Which is great because her big birthday present was a skimboard...

or shall I say patience.

By the way, Ian likes coconuts. He told me he's getting 9 for his birthday.

Our new sofa arrived, it's too big and we have to return it. Ain't nothing like spending hundreds on useless shipping charges.

---

And while Ian was playing with some neighbors and I was talking with their Mom, I noticed a house down the street catching on fire. I used their garden hose and put it out like the shiny hero I am. But check this out, shortly after moving into our house in Richmond, the neighbors house caught on fire. Weird.

---

Not a good week. We need some beach time.

In the mean time, here is Morgen learning giants before she broke her toes.

No comments: